Monday, October 5, 2009

Kerabu Mangga

This is definitely not the ones you can find at the restaurant because it's just a simple one.. My family (even my extended family) love it! I used 2 mangoes and it was finished in a flash. The ingredients are just basic and we just love the simplicity.. But if you want to add fish sauce.. feel free to add.. But only a dash or two and don't add salt at all. Maybe I'll add another recipe with fish sauce..
I use a special grater to make this 'kerabu'. It looks like a peeler but with a different blade. It's a gift from my best friend, Linda, who bought it in Thailand when she went there with her biker husband.
But if you don't have a best friend like her, try to find it in 'Kedai Barangan Plastik'. They might have. Or maybe I should sell it online.. he he..

Ingredients:
2 mangoes (any type will do but 'mempelam epal' is the best!)
1 onion, cut into halves.. slice thinly
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 ripe lime - only the juice of course

1/3 cup coarsely crushed peanuts (I just buy in packets- the ones you buy at Mesra and munch in the car when you travel to kampung)
3-4 cili padi - if you like add more.. I normally slice and put it in a separate bowl..

Method:
1. Grate the mango. Make sure you grate as long as you can. Mix with sliced onion and chillies.
2. In a separate bowl, put the salt and sugar together with the lime juice, stir until everything dissolves. Taste and add sugar or salt to taste.
3. Pour on the grated mango.. add in the peanuts
4. Voila!

No comments: