Tuesday, September 22, 2009
This is among the very first recipes that I learnt. It's my mother-in-law's speciality and my husband's favourite! His love towards this dish is contagious.. the whole family just love it! I normally serve this with omellete, and 'sambal belacan'. I sometimes add young mangoes once the pineapple is finished! It tastes better if you keep reheating it. Never ever make Pajeri Nenas without enough sugar. Add more ginger if you like it spicy. Try it!
4 shallot (or I use 1 big onion)
1 inch ginger
1 packet of Curry (for Meat)
1 stick cinnamon (kulit kayu manis)
5 clove (bunga cengkih)
1 star anise (bunga lawang)
1 small packet dried shrimp (segenggam)
salt and sugar
1 tbpn'kerisik' (optional) - I don't really put this..
1 Kara coconut milk (200gm or 1 coconut)
1 medium sized not-so-ripe pineapple.. peeled and thickly sliced
1 apple mango (suka2 hati je bagi nama- mempelam epal)
eggplant (don't add water at all and make sure your coconut milk is reaaalllly thick! and don't say I didn't warn you he he)
1.Slice shallot, garlic and ginger. Divide into 2. Put 1 part in the mill (blender) together with dried shrimp and curry powder. Add a little bit of hot water once you turn off the mill to make a thick paste.
2. Heat some oil. Be generous with the oil as when you add the curry paste, you need quite a lot of oil. Saute the other part of shallot, garlic and ginger with all the spices.
3. Once golden, add in the curry paste, salt and sugar. Wait until you can see tiny oil bubble (pecah minyak la tu!). If it's too thick, just add little water or else it'll burn.. Don't add too much.. don't forget we have the coconut milk for the gravy.. Pajeri tastes best when it's thick!
Some prefer to add salt and sugar at the end of the cooking process.. I, on the other hand, prefer to add earlier..so that it'll blend with the rest of the other ingredients.
4. As I used very young pineapple, I put it earlier so that it'll soften a bit. If you use ripe pineapple, put it last so that it won't get soggy!
5. Add in the coconut milk.. and wait till it boils.. This is when you taste the gravy! yummy..
6. Add sugar and salt to taste..