Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Making Teh Tarik

I remember when I first got married. It was always Milo. That's the only drink I can make.. I really wanted to learn how to make teh tarik.. I really thought it's a skill but the trick is to get a good tea.

It was a colleague of mine who taught me how to make 'teh tarik'. She practically instructed me and waited until I managed to make it. I can never thank her enough.. It might be a small thing for some of you but then for me, it is a personal accomplishment!

So, I'm telling you now..

1. Use 'Teh Cap Istana'. It's the best! If you can't find it, just get any "teh timbang"..

I used to peek at the shelves of any kedai with good 'teh tarik', you will see a lot of brand that you have never seen before..

2. I used 3 moderatedly heaped tablespoon of tea for my 'tupperware' jug. The colour will be really dark. Make sure you use really hot water to bring out most of the aroma and taste. I used the cloth mamak always used.. and it has changed from white to god knows what..

3. Just add condensed milk until the colour turns out nice.. Make sure it's not too milky.. it'll be sweet. If it's bitter, simply add more hot water and condensed milk. Ha ha ha.. It sounds stupid! but that's the trick.. normally I used slightly more than half.. There's no recipe really... just a good brand of tea and the right amount of condensed milk.. Try it! You'll love it!

No comments: